Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Change of Plans

Today is the perfect example of how regimented and cheap I am. I have been working on flexibility for years. You would think with children flexibility is a must. You would think I would have learned this lesson at this point in my life. But here I am stewing because my plans for the day are not going to happen.

And as I am sitting here, I am thinking of things I won't be able to do tomorrow either. The first week of February is so rich with things to do for the kids. In the Church, we have the Feast of St. Brigid, Candlemass, and the Feast of St. Blase. Then there is Groundhog Day, Chinese New Year and the start of a new month. And I want to do it ALL.

And not in just a checklist kind of way.

I had plans for yesterday, today and tomorrow. Not to mention swim lessons that I've already paid for the month. Do you know how hard it was for me to cancel today? I admit, I can be cheap. But Lance reminded me exactly how cold it is today and that swimming isn't really a good idea. So out went our plans for taking our candles to the church to be blessed, swim lessons, the library and Chinese New Year at Goose's school. (Thankfully, my plans for the gym were intact, I don't think I could have handled today otherwise.)

Instead, we're baking cookies for Squirt who is in surgery right now, we'll light his special candle for the year tonight and Lance will bless our candles, we'll have soup and be together. I know in my heart that that will be better than anything I had planned. It only took me four hours to get over not having the day go exactly as I planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment