Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Feast of St. Blaise

Today is the feast of St. Blaise. When Lance was confirmed, he chose St. Blaise as his confirmation saint because St. Blaise is patron over those with throat ailments. At one point in our marriage, (when one of the babies arrived, I think), Lance's throat started closing in on him. Fear, maybe. We found a good doctor and have been big fans of St. Blaise ever since. Lance does his need voice after all. The kids, well, sometimes, it would be nice if they lost their voices.

This seems to be such a busy week in terms of feast days and secular days that we wanted to celebrate. (St. Bridig, Candlemas, St. Blaise, St. Agnes, plus 100th day of school and groundhog day.) There is so much to experience in just one week. And with everyone sick last week, we didn't have as much early reading as I would have liked. We were going to cover St. Blaise this week in Super Saints, but had to cancel. After today, I think the boys will be excited to cover him next week.

After dropping the big boys off at school, we went to Mass. Baby Hulk started to fuss, but quickly calmed down without me getting upset. We went into Mass to find the Hulk's favorite priest celebrating the Mass. Yay! These days I have been staying in the cry room, which I hate, because Kobra and the BH are so loud. They just don't get it. Today, I wish people could have heard the BH. Father made a couple of statements to which he responded out loud.

We received the blessing of the throats, and of course, Baby Hulk had no desire for such a thing. Thankfully, I didn't have to embarrass myself in front of the church to get him to cooperate. We left feeling really good about our time this morning. My priest even told me I need to invite him over to our house. I think he's right. We love this priest and always talk about having him over, but never get around to it. Even Lance was able to attend Mass at noon and have his throat blessed.

I talked so much about St. Blaise today that Baby Hulk was able to tell the family why our cross had red vestments on today and about St. Blaise. I think he just wanted the treat, but I'm fine with that for now.

I copied a dessert from Catholic Cuisine and the boys really enjoyed it. The following are pictures from our night. Yes, I blessed the boys with cookies, but I forgot to stop and get candles today. They each listened very sweetly to my prayers, then ran off with their treats! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Watching Mama

The finished cookies with a flame on top







ALL MINE


His Throat seems fine to me


I am not going to share, I will eat as much as my big brothers

ST. BLAISE, PRAY FOR US

1 comment:

  1. There's a Saint for throat ailments? That seems really specific! PS I'm going to comment on all the posts I read today to prove I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete